CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What's up Doc?????

So, we have inherited a lot of food from my Mother-In-Law's house recently.  One of the items was a jar of Marinara Sauce.  I'm not a huge fan of it.  I like my spaghetti sauce with more texture and flavor.  However, I was not about to let it go to waste.  I was looking for a can of diced tomatoes in the pantry.  nada!  So I was trying to think of some other ingredient that I could use.  I remember someone saying that they had used pureed carrots in their sauce to hide veggies from their family.  Well, I'm lazy!  I didn't want to go to the trouble of steaming the carrots and then mashing them in the blender.  So my thought was why not just grate raw carrots into the meat why it was cooking!  So I did it!!!!  As I was grating the carrots, it dawned on me how it was a good healthy choice to "stretch" the meat further too.  I have started using more good lean ground turkey.  So adding less meat and more carrots reduces the fat even more, but gives a huge veggie bonus!!!  And you know what????  It was delish!!!  Even my picking husband liked it!  Now I'm wondering what else I can put grated carrots in!  

2 comments:

  1. You can do this with zuchini and squash too. I do it with meat loaf, spaghetti, and chili. A side note on the chili... I buy two extra cans of beans and 1 jar of salsa, put it all in the blender and use it to thickin the chili. It also gets a few beans and extra veggies into my picky eater.

    ReplyDelete